NET Exam to be used as PhD Entrance Test


NET Exam to be used as PhD Entrance Test
University Grants Commission (UGC) on 27th March 2024, has published an important notice for aspiring PhD students. Actually the notice aims to simplify the admission process in PhD courses at various universities in India. 

An expert committee of UGC in their meeting held on 13th March 2024, has decided that the NET Scores can be utilized for PhD admission from the academic session 2024-25, rather than conducting a separate entrance exam of PhD admissions at various universities. 

What is UGC NET?

The UGC-NET is a national-level test that determines the eligibility of Indian nationals for Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship & Assistant Professor in Indian Universities and Colleges. NTA conducts National Eligibility Test (NET) twice a year in June and December.

Click here to know more about NET JRF Psychology.

Till now, students have to take multiple entrances at various universities for their PhD admissions. But as per the latest notice of UGC on NET exam, students can directly get into PhD programs on the basis of marks obtained in NET JRF Exam with an interview (if required).

This decision of UGC is for assisting students with the one national entrance test for PhD admissions as a part of implementing the National Education Policy 2020, the UGC constituted as an expert to review the provisions of the National Eligibility Test (NET).

Also Read: All About PhD Psychology

NET Criteria for PhD Admissions

From June 2024 onwards, the NET-qualified candidates can be divided into three categories.

Category 1

Eligible to PhD Admissions with Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and the Appointment to Assistant Professor.

Category 2

Eligibility to PhD Admissions without JRF and with the Appointment of Assistant Professor.

Category 3

Eligibility to PhD Admissions without JRF OR the appointment of Assistant Professor.

Category-Wise Explanation

CategoriesQualified forEligible for
Category 1Award for JRF and Appointment as Assistant ProfessorYesYesYes
Category 2Appointment as Assistant Professor and Admissions to PhDNoYesYes
Category 3Admissions to PhD OnlyNoNoYes

The candidates, who qualify JRF are admitted into PhD Programs on the basis of the interview as per the UGC regulations, 2022.

Students falling under the category 2 and 3, the weightage of the examination will be 70 percent. The remaining 30% weightage for the interview for the admissions to PhD programs. The admission of such candidates will be combined with the merit of NET marks and the marks obtained in the interview/viva-voce.

Notably, the scores of NET for the candidates who fall under the category 2 and 3 will be valid for a period of one year for the admission to PhD programs. That means, if candidates have qualified NET June 2024, then they can take admissions up to the next NET Exam in June i.e. June 2025. If they take admissions after June 2025, the score of NET Exam will not be valid for the admissions to PhD program, and they will be required to appear for NET exam in 2025 as well.

The result of the National Eligibility Test (NET) will be declared in percentile with the score gained by a candidate to use the marks for PhD admissions.

Candidates seeking their admission in PhD Psychology program will now be required to clear the NET JRF Psychology (NET subject code for Psychology is 04).

Click here to prepare for NET JRF Psychology in offline and online mode.

, , , , ,

Leave a Reply